Re: Building Custom Kernel

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 12:41, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> In the spirit of learning, I want to build a custom
> kernel.
> Is there a document that describes what the options
> are for when using "make xconfig"?
>
> I used this command and build the kernel, but it was
> too big to fit on a floppy, so I know that I didn't
> select the options right.
> Some of the choices I wasn't really sure about
> choosing.

My kernels don't fit on floppies either- but that just means too much
was included in the kernel; this doesn't mean that it's wrong.

After you install your kernel source if you copy a template from
/usr/src/linux-2.4/configs to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config then you will
be starting from the options that the default RH kernel uses.

The best place I've found for what various modules do is clicking the
help button, and looking in the Documentation folder under
/usr/src/linux-2.4.

--
Regards,
Adam Allen.