Re: Building Custom Kernel

> Subject: Re: Building Custom Kernel
> From: "Mr. Adam ALLEN"
> <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: 20 Jul 2003 23:31:59 +0100
>

> --=-e5ClwHfJHEulFgN1c2ei
>
> On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 12:41, edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> > In the spirit of learning, I want to build a
> custom
> > kernel.
> > Is there a document that describes what the
> options
> > are for when using "make xconfig"?
> >=20
> > I used this command and build the kernel, but it
> was
> > too big to fit on a floppy, so I know that I
> didn't
> > select the options right.
> > Some of the choices I wasn't really sure about
> > choosing.
>
> My kernels don't fit on floppies either- but that
> just means too much
> was included in the kernel; this doesn't mean that
> it's wrong.
>
> After you install your kernel source if you copy a
> template from
> /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs to
> /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config then you will
> be starting from the options that the default RH
> kernel uses.
>
> The best place I've found for what various modules
> do is clicking the
> help button, and looking in the Documentation folder
> under
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.
>

> --=20
> Regards,
> Adam Allen.
>
> adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure I understand what you said.
The config files in the /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs
directory are what the default kernel was compiled
with?

Any reason for making it .config instead of making a
new directory, like, /usr/src/linux-2.5/configs

If my system won't fit on a floppy, how would I boot
in an emergency?
Thanks,