Re: New beta "severn"?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, James Ralston wrote:

> The interesting question, though, is whether this is the beta for the
> next Red Hat Linux, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Indeed, though I suspect both full releases are likely to happen soon. I
have seen mention of the forthcoming RHEL 3. The packages currently in
rawhide (eg. anaconda) seem more consistent with an RHL beta.

> Red Hat pretty much *needs* to get the next version of RHEL out before
> the end of the year, as that's when RHL 7.x and 8.0 all reach EOL, and
> they'd really prefer those people to upgrade to RHEL instead of RHL.
> But RHEL 2.1 is pretty old at this point, and people running 7.3 and
> 8.0 aren't going to want to upgrade to older technology.

I agree, as if I remember rightly, RHEL 2.1 was largely based on 7.2.

> As for RHL, I doubt the 2.6 kernel will be ready for prime-time by
> September (we'll be lucky if it's even out of prerelease by then), but
> I could very well see Red Hat including it in the next RHL as an
> option (in addition to the 2.4 kernel), for testing purposes.

Even if 2.6 was ready in September, I can't see RedHat making such a major
change that late in the release cycle. It would be nice if RedHat included
2.6 test kernels as an option in the next release, but I suspect such
kernels are developing too fast for that to be worth doing, and even if
they wanted to I would imagine they would have trouble convincing their QA
people that it was a good idea. But judging by Arjan's 2.6 rpms, it should
be possible to do.

	Michael Young