Re: Kernel panic: no init found

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, --JC wrote:

> Saw the following this afternoon while booting up Shrike (2.4.20-13.9) -
>
> VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ide0 (3,3)
> mount: error 22 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(sysroot./sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
> freeing unused kernel memory 132k bytes
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
>
> It looks to me like something on the ext3 filesystem for root (/) got
> clobbered.  When I start Partition Magic 8 from diskette, it tells me it's
> now an ext2 filesystem

Partition magic may not be able to tell the difference between ext2 and
ext3, as ext3 is ext2 with journalling added.

> 4. Is it best to start from a disk image backup (which is about eight days
> old)?

It may not be necessary yet, but don't lose it. Try booting from the
install CD as linux rescue. See if you can fsck your root partition from
there, or try mounting it (if it mounts, that suggests some file crucial
to booting the system is corrupt, otherwise it could be file system
corruption).

> The kernel panic also happens with the recovery diskette.  And FWIW, I
> think I may have caused the problem myself by running an fsck while in
> multi-user mode.

Running fsck on a partition which is mounted is a bad idea, since the
system makes provisional modifications to the disk which fsck will see as
errors. I can imagine it might also confuse the journalling.

	Michael Young