Re: x-windows broke

On Friday 18 July 2003 21:21, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I don't know where this is formally documented, but the following is
> culled from a Psyche system. If there are any significant differences in
> a Shrike system, I trust someone will tell us.
>
> Log in as root, then go to your personal home directory and mv the
> following to a safe place. When you log back in as yourself, most of
> this directory structure will be recreated. The contents of the
> individual files could be different. You can compare those after the
> fact.
>
> In /home/foo:
> drwx------    5 foo      foo          4096 Jul 18 19:41 .gnome
> drwxr-xr-x    2 foo      foo          4096 Jul 18 19:41 .gnome-desktop
> drwxr-xr-x    5 foo      foo          4096 Jul 18 19:41 .gnome2
> drwx------    2 foo      foo          4096 Jul 18 19:40 .gnome2_private
> -rw-rw-r--    1 foo      foo           134 Jul 18 19:40 .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2

<Grand Snippage>

Rather than take the time for such an involved exercise, why not just create
another user if you think that's the problem, to test the theory.

You might also try logging in to runlevel 3 and running redhat-config-xfree86
and refreshing the configuration.

Third option is to restore the old config file from just before the change you
made that you don't think caused the problem.

Joebewan