GConf Errors - Can't Change my Theme

I have tried EVERYTHING (well, I guess not "everything" since it is
still broken).  When I try to launch the Themes app on the preference
menu, I get this:

The default theme schemas could not be found on.  This means that you
probably don't have metacity installed, or that your gconf is not
configured correctly.

This happens as root or any other user.  All my desktop and nautilus
icons are the "blank pieces of paper" icons and I am stuck with the
default theme.
I have removed all my .gconf* folders from my home dir, removed and
re-installed both GConf and metacity.  I also added user logging to
syslogd to see if I got any errors from GConf - but it loads up clean.

Any ideas?!?!?!

Thanks in advance!

Jed