Re: Direct Web Streaming

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:32:02AM +1000, Logan Linux wrote:
> Avoiding M$ like the plague due to unwanted "costs", does anyone have any
> suggestions or links for getting a web server setup to host web cam
> streams. ie. I want to change the CCTV setup to stream the data over the
> web so I can remotely monitor the "Port/Harbour"
>
> I need to know if linux has good video compression software, what I should
> use to get it to the server and what I should use to get it off the server
> on a web page.

The following standalone network web-server cameras (which run
embedded Linux) may or may not be of interest to you, but I think
they're interesting in their own right.  I saw these mentioned at
linuxdevices.com.

http://www.stardot-tech.com/
    "netcam" $599 with a $100 rebate (with some conditions).
    Some really nice example images on their web pages.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_2100/index.htm
    The Axis 2100 network camera, seen at $299