Re: Mplayer rpms

> Robert Styma wrote:
>
> >I wanted to add mplayer to my RH 9 system (maybe the RH 8 too).
> >I would just as soon use precompiled binaries.  The rpm -i of
> >mplayer...rpm produces a list of missing files.  Tracking down
> >the rpm's for these files produces a new list.  etc.  Is there
> >a dependency list somewhere showing all the RPM's which must
> >be loaded to load mplayer?
> >

> I think a lot of us just went to freshrpms and grabbed mplayer, then
> started downloading all the stuff we needed as the install of mplayer
> demanded. It does require some supporting libs and utilities, but it's a
> very cool app once installed: if it's any help, here's what mplayer says
> it needs on my system:

> neo.mirai.cx: /root
> (tty/dev/pts/3): bash: 1005 > rpm -q --requires mplayer
> /bin/sh
<snip>
> xvidcore

It appears mplayer is a cool app.  As this seems to be the general
consensus, it is reasonable to assume that some people have tracked down
all the required RPM's to match the pre-reqs.  I am hoping someone took
notes as they did this and could supply a list to the group.

I realize that an exact list may not be possible as it will depend on what
is already loaded on the system, however, any list is better than none.
Finding which RPM contains a library which is not on the system is a long
drawn out process.