Re: kernel 2.6 breaks Xscreensaver screen lock

>   1) internal modem:  chances are it's a winmodem and for that,
>      you'll have to mess with linmodem drivers.  i have little
>      interest in that, since i just use a PCMCIA net/modem
>      combo card when i'm on the road.

Which one you using?  Perhaps I will just acquire one and mess with the
internal thing later (NIC is a Broadcom NetExtreme BCM 5705 Gigabit
Ethernet Rev. 01, MODEM is an Intel 82801DB AC'97 Rev. 03)

I did try a 3COM 3C589c pcmcia nic at work yesterday.  Popped up some
errors re. the /etc/modules.conf settings.

I changed the setting from the incorrect autodetect
"alias eth0 3c505.o"
"alias eth0 3c589c_cs'

The error I am getting is: "Cannot activate network device eth0!
determining IP information for eth0 ... iptables failed.  No
chain/target/match by that name.  Bad rule (does a matching rule exist
in that chain?)"

>   2) internal NIC:  i didn't order one of those with my laptop,
>      i use a linksys WFC11 card here in the house, talks to the
>      linksys router just fine.

I have been planning to implement wireless.  OK re. the Linksys, will
keep my eyes open for a good deal.

>   3) DVD:  haven't gotten around to that yet, but i suspect
>      the players from freshrpms.net will work just fine.

When I get the modem or nic to work will try that and then 2.6.

> rday
> p.s.  aside from the kernel, i did download and install the
> rawhide versions of modutils and mkinitrd, but that's about it.
> as i read it, you should also get the latest versions of
> nfs-utils as well, but i'm not running NFS at the moment.

OK.

> and downloading the patch for the nvidia driver from www.minion.de
> got my nvidia card working properly as well.

My notebook uses a Radeon 9000, and Centrino 1.5 CPU.

Thanks! doc