Re: kernel 2.6 breaks Xscreensaver screen lock

> rather than installing from RPM, i have (for many weeks now) just
> downloaded the latest pristine source from ftp.kernel.org, configured,
> built and installed it, and have been running nicely all that time.
>
> on my dell inspiron 8100 with RH 9 and all updates, i have
>
>   - full 1600x1200 resolution with an nvidia geforce2go
>   - USB hotplug (zip drive works nicely, as does optical logitech
>     external mouse)
>   - wireless linksys net card
>   - xlock works just fine for me
>
> in fact, i can't offhand think of anything that *doesn't* work
> properly.  mind you, it's still on my TO DO list to take a shot
> at LVM[2] under this kernel, but from what i've read, that might
> be a bit more ambitious.  any advice gratefully accepted.
>
> rday

I am trying to get a bunch of stuff running on my new notebook (internal
modem and nic, dvd) and it sounds as though you have hit the motherlode
of up-to-date code!  is this the correct site and source?
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/
linux-2.6.0-test1.tar.bz2

I will have to download and burn this to a CD at work because I am lucky
to get a 28k dial-up connect out here in the woods ... ;-(

Thanks!  doc