Re: soundcard support for Intel MB D845PEBT2

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 21:20, Keith Morse wrote:
> I've been going thru two differnent routes for getting sound to work with
> this.  I'm hoping to find somebody or possibly pointers what can tell me
> the proper incantations and small animal sacrifices that need to be made
> to instill sonic happines.

:-)))

> I've gotten the tarball from Intel's website and compiled and installed it
> using both Intel's instruction as well as the ALSA instructions.  All
> appears okay. Modules load.  Alsamixer was set according to instructions
> for both Master and PCM.  But no sound.

The biggest stumbling block for newbies to ALSA is that by default the
sound channels are muted. While this is indeed an issue for
first-timers, there are good reasons for ALSA to do that (anyone who
turned on sound support, only to jump off the chair because of some 100W
speakers suddenly blaring full-throttle will understand what i'm
saying).

One quick and dirty method to get you started:
1. Start some reliable sound source. That could either be XMMS playing
an MP3, or a CD-player playing an audio CD, or even an external source
connected to the line-in. Anything, as long as you know for sure it's
working and the sound does make it into your computer. Or you can even
start all of them simultaneously, to increase your chances.
2. In alsamixer, turn down all sound controls (remember those 100W
speakers blaring... you don't wanna do that) except for obvious things
like tone control (leave those at 50%)
3. Unmute all muted sound controls (but write them down somewhere)
4. Now gently turn up all controls (except for tone and other obvious
stuff), in small steps, until you find the right ones
5. Mute back on the things you don't need
6. Adjust the controls to a good default and exit alsamixer
7. Run "alsactl store" as root

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith