soundcard support for Intel MB D845PEBT2

I've been going thru two differnent routes for getting sound to work with
this.  I'm hoping to find somebody or possibly pointers what can tell me
the proper incantations and small animal sacrifices that need to be made
to instill sonic happines.

I've gotten the tarball from Intel's website and compiled and installed it
using both Intel's instruction as well as the ALSA instructions.  All
appears okay. Modules load.  Alsamixer was set according to instructions
for both Master and PCM.  But no sound.

I've also tried 0.94 of the ALSA project with similar results.  Any leads
greatfully accepted.