Re: No Bluefish in Rawhide?

On 14 Jul 2003, Patrick wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 13:39, Mike Burger wrote:
> [snip]
> > Unless you specifically told the installation to not install Qt, it was
> > installed, and most of, if not all of, the KDE capable apps should work.
> > --
> > Mike Burger
> > http://www.bubbanfriends.org
> [snip]
>
> Mike,
>
> I know that and I always go through great pains to make sure the
> installer only installs what I want, which is Gtk2/Gnome2 only and not a
> single piece of Qt/KDE. Don't use it so why take up disk space, clutter
> my system, etc. I can install Bluefish myself. That's not the problem. I
> just think RH9 is missing a Gtk2/Gnome2 html editor and that RH imho
> should add Bluefish to the new beta. Why should anyone on a Gtk2/Gnome2
> based box have to install Qt (and perhaps some KDE parts) just because
> the only available html editor is Qt (KDE?) based. That's just silly,
> especially given the fact that Bluefish is quite stable and readily
> available.

See, I think of it in another way.

Personally, I prefer the KDE desktop...but I don't let that blind me from
the fact that a lot of good software is written and compiled for use under
Gtk/Gnome.  I didn't install Gnome (manually selected to not install it).
But, since I do realize that a lot of good software is written for it, I
make use of the framework parts that allow me to use that software.

*I* think it's short sighted to limit one's self to software that only
runs on one "side" of the platform, and I don't get involved in the
religious wars that occur with regard to the many available desktops.

This platform is all about flexibility.  My way of thinking is "why not
take full advantage of that flexibility?"

To that effect, I agree that adding Bluefish could and probably should be
added to the distribution.  I just don't agree that limiting one's self to
only a set of apps built for a particular desktop is wise.  It seems that
that's the way people get stuck running only Windows.

The preceding, of course, is *MY* opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe