Re: Dependancies and RPM's

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 03:44:53PM +1000, Logan Linux wrote:
> I am trying to get (what I thought was) a simple package installed to enable
> me to produce some graphs in PHP.
> Aparently the GD library will enable this but it requires a few things to be
> installed. I thought it was the font libraries but I have these already. Im
> not using a GUI in Redhat 9, just command lines, but I have a minimal
> instalation of the X libraries. I grabbed a new XFreelib file but it said
> that there were conflicst so im assuming that its installed.
>
> Then I grabbed the others and got these messages...
>
> [root@xxx upload]# rpm -ivh glibc-2.3.2-57.i386.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         glibc-common = 2.3.2-57 is needed by glibc-2.3.2-57
>
> So im downloading glib-common...

Unless you *really* know what you're doing, do not attempt to upgrade
glibc on your own.  The vast majority of the time you'll shoot yourself
in the foot, and if you doings like replace a 686 glibc with a 386
version, you'll mess up your system very, very badly.

> Then i try this one...
>
> [root@xxx upload]# rpm -Uvh gd-2.0.12-2.i386.rpm
> warning: gd-2.0.12-2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 897da07a
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libgd.so.1.8 is needed by (installed) php-4.2.2-17.2
>         libgd.so.1.8 is needed by (installed) webalizer-2.01_10-11
>
> Im not sure how to interpret that...what needs what and what is the
> (installed) part?

This is telling you that the version of php you have installed requires
libgd.so.1.8 (probably version 1.8 of the library).  Same thing with
webalizer.  You're attempting to remove that version and replace it with
gd 2.0.12 which isn't compatible.  In order to upgrade gd, you also need
to upgrade php and webalizer.

> ps. ---> NEWBIE!

The newbie's best friend is up2date.  It will let you get your packages
current yet maintain the dependencies.  Once you have compatible
versions of your packages installed, then ask specific questions to the
appropriate list as to why gd doesn't work for you.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx