Re: Rpm problems

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Brian Johnson wrote:

> I'm having trouble with rpm ..
>
> When I start it in any way (tried rpm -qa, rpm -Va, rpm --rebuilddb, rpm -Uvh ...)
> it starts, shows up in top as taking 0% cpu usage and just seems to sit there.  So
> I've been killing the processes to get rid of them (kill -KILL pid)
>
> I've let it run all night with the same results
>
> I was trying to rpmbuild the courier-imap rpm that wanted some devel packages and I
> think the last thing that I did with rpm (was yesterday) was rpm -Uvh
> postgresql-devel-7.2.2-1.i386.rpm and that was the first time it hung after
> completing the progress bar.  Immediately prior to that I successfully added some
> other devel packages
>
> I can't find anything in the log files that would point to a problem
>
> I'm running Rehdat 9 but you may have noticed that I'm using an older postgresql
> package (and also php) for compatibility with another piece of software
>
> Any tips?

"rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*" should fix it. When you do a kill -9 you leave stale lock
files around and that causes rpm to hang. You have to be patient with rpm. IMHO
it needs to be more verbose about what it is doing so people can tell if it is
working or hung but since I am not a programmer......

--
......Tom		CLUELESSNESS: There Are No Stupid Questions, But
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	There Are LOTS of Inquisitive Idiots. :-)