Re: Ahh redhat!

Joe raises an interesting possibility here ... though I do not think he
intended to do so.

What about a secondary market provider offering to burn a custom CD
containing selected add-ins and other mods to the generic RedHat distro?

Customers would provide detailed info about hardware, plus a list of
what one wanted added to and removed from the RH distro (from a limited
menu of choices specified by the vendor -- selections they were
reasonably certain their install code could assure functionality in the
given distro and specified hardware).

The CD would arrive and once inserted automagically perform the
necessary no-user-intervention-required processes.

Said vendor could also provide update CDs as customers requested (and
paid for).

This would seem to have the possibility of meeting the needs of newbies
who just will not tolerate tinkering with dependencies, freshmeat rpms,
drivers, etc.

The vendor could also serve as a clearinghouse for pre-purchase hardware
choices that would be fully compatible with the customized RH setup.

RedHat would not be responsible for anything this vendor did and would
be freed from the the abject terror of lawsuits that currently has them
cowering in an ever-shrinking little red box.

WDYT?  doc