Postfix and Maildir format email system

I'm using RH9 (started with Slackware 7, then RH 7.0, 7.1, 7.3) and switched to
using Postfix (included in RH CDs) when sendmail switched to a two piece system that
screwed up my config files and I didn't want to relearn their new system.

Back when I originally created our server (for a small 12 machine LAN) I let RH auto
partition the 10G HD (had a separate 40G HD fo /home).  As my inboxes have gotten
bigger (despite telling users to move emails out of inbox), as my databases have
been developed and are getting bigger, and as my web pages are increasing, my /var
partition has been filling up

On occasion I've encountered problems (for a variety of reasons) and my log files
have gone wild and totally filled up my /var directory and I've lost email
(currently using a maildump and fetchmail but in process of switching to another
domain name that we host ourselves .. dns and mx)

I have moved the dbs and use a link (ln -s), I have moved the html pages and use a
link.  I moved them to a location that is easier to pick out for backup purposes.

There are other files/dirs under /var that would be easier to pick out as needing
backup (like /var/named) if they were grouped elsewhere (even if just a collection
of links) but that is not my current issue

I was wondering about changing the user's inbox from /var/spool/mail to their home
dirs (which are on a larger partition) and reviewing how that could be done led to
me wondering about switching from the RH standard mbox format to maildir format (one
file per email) which seems a much safer storage format (think file corruption)

However, UW-IMAP that comes with RH and that I use does not seem to support the
maildir format so I would have to switch to a courier-imap system

My question is three-fold:
1. is there a road map to do this conversion of an existing system?
2. why does RH stick to this syetm as default when the alternative seems to be an
established superior system?
3. does RH have any plans to change the default email system to a maildir one?

Hope I haven't bored you with this long (for me) post