Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

So we're back to agreeing that an EASY way for people to find and install other apps
would likely address everybody's concerns

I just installed synaptic with apt and it shows packages available from the
repositories in a graphical format, grouped by application category (complete with
descriptions)

Apt also seems to do a pretty good job of resolving dependancies

So perhaps RH would consider including apt and synaptic with their distro (it would
also simplify installation of RH supported packages) complete with a prebuilt config
file to point it at a few repositories.  Even if they only pointed it (by default)
at repositories containing only their own packages, it would simplify finding,
getting, and installing those.

To satisfy their concern for request for support on unsupported packages (which
likely happens already), they could include (or post on the web) a list of the
packages they do/will support

Possibly a workable solution to answer user concerns that finding/installing
packages too hard?

Actually I see apt/synaptic and up2date filling two separate needs.  Apt/synaptic to
find, browse, and install .. up2date to monitor version status of installed (and RH
supported) packages

--
Brian Johnson
* This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this line :) *