Re: Postfix and Maildir format email system

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 06:43, Brian Johnson wrote:

> On occasion I've encountered problems (for a variety of reasons) and my log files
> have gone wild and totally filled up my /var directory and I've lost email

You may want to use a more clever partitioning scheme.

For instance, sometimes i use separate partitions for /var/log and
/var/spool, perhaps even located on different disks or disk arrays. The
reasons are obvious.

> I was wondering about changing the user's inbox from /var/spool/mail to their home
> dirs (which are on a larger partition) and reviewing how that could be done led to
> me wondering about switching from the RH standard mbox format to maildir format (one
> file per email) which seems a much safer storage format (think file corruption)
> However, UW-IMAP that comes with RH and that I use does not seem to support the
> maildir format so I would have to switch to a courier-imap system

You can also take a look at Cyrus IMAPd:

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/

RPM packages for Red Hat here:

http://home.teleport.ch/simix/

In addition to standard features offered by Courier and other advanced
IMAP daemons, Cyrus can use the Sieve filtering language, to sort
messages in different folders, etc, - server-side. ;-)
It also uses not the plain maildir format, but an improvement of it, for
performance reasons.
It is able to use non-system users, should you choose to do that (create
users only in Cyrus, not in the system's /etc/passwd), but it is also
able to use system users.
Red Hat already has parts of the Cyrus project software included in the
distribution (such as Cyrus SASL), so installing Cyrus IMAPd is not a
big problem.
Postfix and Cyrus work very well together. It looks like Cyrus is the
high-performance IMAP server of choice for many people using Postfix.