Worried about anacron in RH9

A week after installing Shrike, I started getting a warning from locate about the database not having been updated for a week.

Finally, over this W/E I've just found what seems to be the necessary change to get things going again, but I can't say I understand it.

I had noticed that pretty well none of my cron.daily jobs were now happening; this W/E I tracked back all of of them and found that (as I guess they're run alphabetically) the job sequence seemed to be aborting on 'inn-cron-expire'. Note that I currently have inn installed, but not yet [chkconfig] enabled.

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/chkconfig innd || exit 0
su - news -c "unset LANG; unset LC_COLLATE; /usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily delayrm"

I *guessed* that the exit might possibly be to blame; I've amended the script to:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/chkconfig innd && su - news -c "unset LANG; unset LC_COLLATE; /usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily delayrm"

.. and everything now works fine.

My problem is that there are a no. of other scripts that have or return with 'exit', and they don't seem to stop the job sequence, so I'm not sure I understand what's going on - whether it's a bug, version change, or what.

All I did at that time was the update from 8.0 to 9; the basic config. didn't change. (i.e., inn was installed but not running & it was all fine for 8.0).

--
[neil@xxx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@xxx ~]# ls -l .signature