Microsoft Buys Linux

Comments are welcome :-)

###

http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20030401/index.html

Microsoft Buys Linux

At a small press conference in Nepal, attended by two Sherpas and a Yak, as
well as a THG stringer, Microsoft spokeswoman Avril Wonful announced that
the Redmond company had acquired Linux. Although this surreptitious attempt
by Microsoft to kill the Open Source community was supposed to go unnoticed,
THG sources had long known that Microsoft executives were holed up in a
Buddhist monastery in the area, meditating and trying to achieve greater
self-awareness.

"I think we are all comfortable with being rich, and having very little to
think about while our dominant operating system and office productivity
units keep printing the big bucks," said one executive. "But, we felt that
we need to find something more altruistic, something that would let us give
back to the industry for being so generous to us. We also needed to stick it
to the MSN and Xbox groups, who are dragging the stock price down."

So it was that after a few days of living on sticky rice and tofu, the
Microsoft executives came up with a plan to buy Linux. They made a few
calls, and realized that no one really wanted to own Linux, and that it was
available for next to nothing. In fact, according to sources intimate with
the deal making process, Linux was pretty much given away, and Microsoft's
negotiators could not believe their luck.

"You know, we're used to paying a lot of money for stuff that never gives us
much of a return, like WebTV, Apple, and Corel. Now, we get this Linux
thing, and it's dirt cheap, and you know, it's, like, unbelievable.
Apparently, it's just like Windows, but we don't need to have whole teams of
programmers and support staff to maintain it. There's, like, all these
people who'll do that work for nothing. We're seriously thinking of getting
rid of Windows and just selling Linux. Sweet!" said another executive on
condition of anonymity

http://www17.tomshardware.com/column/20030401/Microsoft_buys_linux-01.html

The Future of Open Source

We spoke to Microsoft's newly appointed vice president of Open Source
development, Attila Palpatine.

Q - How do you see the future of the Open Source movement after your
acquisition of Linux?

AP - Obviously, we believe in standards and the Open Source movement. All we
hope to do is bring a little order and structure to the process so that
everyone can benefit from innovation. We are really big on innovation. That
is why we buy anything remotely inventive.

Q - Shouldn't developers be wary of trusting Microsoft? It's not like you
have a great deal of goodwill out there in the Open Source community.

AP - We understand that, and that is why we are so committed to Buddhism. I,
myself, have met Richard Gere and talked to him seriously about the Open
Source community, and we agreed that the best way to deal with the issues is
to just put out really good vibes. I am putting out really good vibes right
now. Can you feel them?

Q - Please take your hand off my thigh. How do you think this is going to
impact the hardware community? Obviously an area we are most interested
in...

AP - I think you will find that our existing contracts with the big OEMs
allows us to encourage them to load a copy of Linux on every PC that is
sold, or even a pc they are just thinking about building. Either way, we
nail them with a Linux license. Eventually, we will probably merge Windows
and Linux to create Winux, and that will mean a significant change for the
hardware industry.

Q - How so?

AP - I think it is safe to assume that we will be able to make driver
development a living hell, and that many people will be forced to spend a
lot of money replacing hardware such as grapics cards, audio cards, or even
peripherals like printers, just so that they can get Winux to work. We hope
that the same driver milieu in Linux can be applied to the Windows
community, which is getting very boring and stable; I am sure you will agree
that the confusion alone will probably result in increased revenue for the
hardware vendors.

Q - Interesting approach.

AP - Well, we realized quite recently that we can't keep selling more PCs
and that the upgrade market was becoming increasingly commoditized so, we
thought, what if we could turn the clock back to the good old days? Ergo,
crappy drivers, and confusion in the hardware market. Surely that will drive
greater sales. So, now we have Windows AND Linux, and the driver issues
should mean every user has at least two of each add-in board and peripheral
that they need. If nothing works, we can blame the hardware guys, and
they'll probably just make up for it by doing more product launches.
Everyone wins. We realize now that building more stability into Windows was
just a bad move. It's done nothing but make people complacent.

Q - What do you mean, `complacent'?

AP - Well, they just don't buy as much because they're happy with what
they've got. You don't get much progress without confrontation. So, we're
going to confront users with products that don't work. No pain, no gain. You
know?

Q - What is good in life?

AP - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentation
of their women.

Q - Attila Palpatine, thank you.

GIF image

GIF image