Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 23:21, Brian Johnson wrote:
> While we've got you here ...
>
> I was wondering about the practicality of a version upgrade using apt or yum (I
> think it's possible using up2date)

Well, yum can do it and apt can do it. I think any up2date version could
do it as well (with some tricks), except it's just as just as
unsupported as upgrading the distribution with apt or yum. In RHL 9
up2date does have --upgrade-to-release=<version> option, dunno what the
support status of that is (it's not advertised anywhere except "up2date
--help" output so I doubt it's really supported ATM)

> Do you know if people have successfully done this (ie RH 8 to 9 and beyond?)

My laptop has been dist-upgraded with apt from RHL 7.1 to 9 and my
collagues laptop went from 7 to 8.0 before a reinstall was necessary due
to lack of disk space. That's not to say it was always smooth sailing,
especially the 7.x to 8.0 was *nasty* with the apt-rpm version available
at that time. The current one (0.5.5cnc5) seems to handle that smoothly
though. Can't speak for yum, except for Seth saying "it works" :)

	- Panu -