scanner configuration

Weekends are probably not a good time to submit, but
here goes. About 2 years ago I had windows and I
purchased a Microtek Scanmaker 5700. It came with a
disk and it's own graphics program. For about the last
year and a half It's been collecting dust. Now
that I have shrike with an ohci_1394 I might actually
be able to use it. It has both firewire and usb. When
I plugged it in to my shrike box kudzu detected the
firewire PCI card I had installed in the box when it
was a Windows box. I got hopefull. Getting adventurous
I decided to run kudzu on the command line. It was
like July 4th. I had panels, windows,
pull down menus etc appearing and dissapearing all
over the screen. The mouse pointer was everywhere. It
reminded me of the psychedelic days.
      My question: How do I configure the scanner and
get Red Hat to detect it, and then how do I get x-sane
to detect it. X sane currently has no front
end for this scanner. I'm hoping for some sort of
luck. I've probably spent about 2 weeks trying various
ways and means, including a Belkin firewire
card in my laptop, to no avail.

                 TIA