Re: scanner configuration

On Sunday 25 May 2003 01:42, Craig Toenes shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Weekends are probably not a good time to submit, but
> here goes. About 2 years ago I had windows and I
> purchased a Microtek Scanmaker 5700. It came with a

>       My question: How do I configure the scanner and
> get Red Hat to detect it, and then how do I get x-sane
> to detect it. X sane currently has no front
> end for this scanner. I'm hoping for some sort of
> luck. I've probably spent about 2 weeks trying various
> ways and means, including a Belkin firewire
> card in my laptop, to no avail.

Some suggestions which might be of help:

Use either the hardware browser, or run usbview to
see if the scanner is found by Shrike.

Have a look here to see if the scanner is supported
(as a usb device):
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/index.php
or here:
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html

You could also try editing /etc/sane.d/microtek.conf
by REMarking out any references to "scsi", and
changing /dev/scanner to /dev/usb scanner, then running
xsane and see if the scanner is recoginzed.

Or load the scanner as a module (Check the shrike-list
archives on previous discussions regarding this.

Use google to search for: microtek linux usb scanner

HTH & cheers,

Elton ;-)