Re: Update blues

Con Tassios wrote:
It just means admins will have to do some
sanity checks - as one of the posters said,
it's a good idea to try out the updates on
non mission-critical boxes first -

We don't have any issues with RH 9 in a
production setting, we just have to follow
general common-sense guidelines - but all
things considered we're happy with the
RH 9 production servers we've deployed.

If you are running Red Hat 9 on a production server, I imagine you would
upgrade to RH 10/11...

Maybe, maybe not...
when support/errata for RH 9 ends in 11 months.

All we know is that it won't end before then.
They resrve the right to extend support -
If so,
you effectively become a test site for bleeding edge features that Red Hat will
introduce into new releases.
We've never done that before, why would we
start now?
This would most likely have a negative impact on
reliability and stability of your servers.

Nope, we will do what is best for production -

If we determine that RH 10 is stable and ready,
we will move to that, if not, we'll stay on RH9
and earn our sys admin pay building updated
rpms for our RH 9 boxen

Or who knows, maybe we'll decide that RHAS
3.0 is so cool that we've got to go that way -

Or migrate to the OS crafted by the volk at
Software und Systems Entwicklung G.m.B.H -

No need to panic, or jump to conclusions at
this point, we have at least 11 months to make
up our mind - an awful lot happens in the linux
world in 11 months...

Joe