Re: can redhat 9 be used with kernel 2.5.x from kernel.org

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 15:38, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:
> I noticed that the latest version is up to 2.5.69. Is there any
> substantial cleanups with this version?

Not much... Mainly PPC64, x86-64, NFS client updates, framebuffer
updates, futexes, scheduler, etc. You can also try Andrew Morton's -mm
kernel patch
(ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.5/2.5.69)
which also include some nice features, like the Anticipatory Scheduler
disk elevator.

> I chose the make defconfig option in order to get the kernel to compile.
> I always ended up getting just a blank screen, otherwise.

The input core has changed a lot. Now, input core is required. Also,
make sure you don't select VGA console and serial console at the same
time (well, you can do that, but serial takes precedence if no boot-time
parameter is specified).

> I'm not passing any options to the kernel or using any initrd image to
> the grub boot loader.

Neither me... I'm doing fine with:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.5.69-mm7 ro root=/dev/hdXX

> The new version for xconfig is really nice, compared to the earlier
> selection process with ncurses, (I believe.) But it is also a bit
> overwhelming to someone who really doesn't know what all of the options
> relate to.

As always, a good advice is "if unsure, say N"(tm). I can send you a
sample config file for 2.5.69-mm7 you can start playing with.

> I always use my sound card and network card. So compiling it into the
> kernel sounded like the best options.

I always build ALSA into the kernel, but since I've got a CardBus NIC,
the NIC driver is left as a module. Some kernel features allow for
greater flexibility when built as modules. So is the case for 3c59x.