Re: can redhat 9 be used with kernel 2.5.x from kernel.org

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 01:57, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:

What version of cdrecord should you use with the 2.5 kernel? Someone on the local list got me up and running with the 2.5 kernel. I haven't compiled one since 2.5.68 - It worked alright with other drive devices. It complained about the version of cd record being lacking for use with the 2.5 kernel. Will the frontend GUIs work with the newer kernel? (cdrecord and gtoaster)

I'm using the cdrecord package that comes with Red Hat 9. It works
nicely, as it supports native ATAPI burning (you don't need to enable
IDE-SCSI). IDE-SCSI is still broken in 2.5.

To enable native ATAPI burning:

# cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdXX ...

Thanks for your help also. Rusty has some very functional modutils.
Is the rawhide version good enough to use with the 2.5 kernel?

Yes, RawHide's current modutils package is backwards compatible with 2.4
and works nicely with 2.5.

Thanks for the information. I haven't used the ide-scsi for awhile. I'll try the cdrecord with the ATAPI burning enabled. I also updated modutils and binutils from rawhide. I'll see how it goes with CDburning.

When I built the kernel. I did a make defconfig and only picked my ethernet and soundcard, for options to the xconfig program.

Jim

--
"An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of code."
-- an anonymous programmer