Re: can redhat 9 be used with kernel 2.5.x from kernel.org

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 14:54, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:

When I built the kernel. I did a make defconfig and only picked my ethernet and soundcard, for options to the xconfig program.

I wouldn't use "make defconfig". Instead, I prefer starting from scratch
with a clean tree (make mrproper) and then using "make menuconfig" or
"make xconfig" and explicitly select the drivers and options that are
going to be used. I usually built into the kernel drivers for hardware
that is not hot-pluggable, like AGP, IDE, sound support, UHCI,
networking, and leave things that can be plugged in, like iso9660,
network drivers, HIDs, etc.

There other options, like "make allmodules", than can be used, but I
don't recommend them either.

I noticed that the latest version is up to 2.5.69. Is there any substantial cleanups with this version?

I chose the make defconfig option in order to get the kernel to compile. I always ended up getting just a blank screen, otherwise.

I'm not passing any options to the kernel or using any initrd image to the grub boot loader.

The new version for xconfig is really nice, compared to the earlier selection process with ncurses, (I believe.) But it is also a bit overwhelming to someone who really doesn't know what all of the options relate to.

I always use my sound card and network card. So compiling it into the kernel sounded like the best options.

Jim

--
"An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of code."
-- an anonymous programmer