Re: new kernel 2.4.20-13.9 performance improvements?

From: "Klaasjan Brand" <kjb@xxxxxx>
> Hi,
>
> I tried to 2.4.20-13.9 kernel after hearing about performance
> improvements for interactive use. On both systems I use regularly I
> experienced some "stutter" when loading big applications (evolution,
> mozilla) which look to me like they're caused by heavy disk activity.
>
> On my work system, a P4/i850 system  the new kernel seems to perform a
> lot better. Random "pauses" don't occur anymore.
> My home system (P3/i815) is not as happy with it though; it still
> becomes unusable when starting a heavy application. Maybe mouse
> "stutter" can be explained by the usb mouse (P4 has got PS/2), but it
> still seems to me the disk load is killing  interactive performance.
>
> Anyone care to share some experiences?

Nothing scientific here either but, I have two boxes I use a lot both
running RH9.  One is a Dell PowerEdge 650C P4 2.4 with 512 ECC and two IDE
drives.  The other is a home made Athlon XP 1600 with 1G DDR and one WD
JB120 Drive.

On the athlon it works great, I have had no problems and it does seem
snappier, less stutter etc.  On the Dell, It didn't seem any better or worse
until I realized that DMA had been disabled on one of the drives.  I
re-enabled it manually and now things seem to be smoother.

Perhaps the new kernel is setting different hdparm settings than the old
one, have you checked?