Re: USB and PS/2 Mouse - plug-n-play?

[Replying to William's post because I deleted the original]

I haven't responded to this so far, because I don't have a solution. But
given that you are clearly having so many problems I thought that
perhaps I should let you know what I did (which wasn't anything, really
- the Shrike installer did it all for me).

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a built-in PS/2 Alps GlidePoint
touchpad, and a logitech USB two-button wheel mouse connected by USB. I
installed Shrike (a clean install, not an upgrade) with the USB mouse
connected. When the installer asked to specify my mouse type (it had
highlighted Generic PS/2) I selected the Alps GlidePoint, as that was
the primary pointing device. I never did anything to select the USB
mouse - it just worked, including the wheel, throughout the installation
and afterwards. My XF86Config file was even set up properly with primary
pointing device and secondary pointing device. I can connect and
disconnect the USB mouse and it always just works, and never affects the
functioning of the Alps GlidePoint.

The only thing *I* can suggest is if your problems persist you try doing
a clean install and try what I did. Sorry I can't be more help.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com