Re: Graphical interface for RPM's

On 15 May 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > Hmmm, apt is bloated c++ code, yes, but it can come in handy. Maybe you
> > should try apt again, it's been long since it doesn't use --force nor
> > --nodeps anymore. It operates quite smoothly, and performance is overall
> > improving with every new release.
> >

> really? I looked at 0.5.5 not so long ago and I found --force --nodeps
> by grepping my way through. But I'm open to being mistaken.
>
> however, I know apt has to be using --noorder and --force b/c it can't
> do otherwise.

--force is never used in current apt unless the user specifies that, the
thing you find by grepping is:

   if (Cnf.Exists("RPM::Force"))
   {
      _error->Warning("RPM::Force is obsoleted. Add \"--force\" to
RPM::Options instead.");
      if (Cnf.FindB("RPM::Force",false))
     Cnf.Set("RPM::Options::", "--force");
   }

>  it can't do simultaneous installs/updates and erasures using the rpm
> cli (which it invokes for its installation routines)
> so that means:
>  it has to erases separately from installs/updates which means it can't
> always get the deps right on any one try - hence requiring --nodeps and
> --noorder and if I'm not mistaken apt lets you have a

--noorder is basically a performance optimization: apt calculates the
order itself so there's no point making rpm do that again. --nodeps is
used when necessary to work around the rpm cli limitation (or rather the
fact it doesn't use rpmlib for the installation ...)

	- Panu -