Re: xinetd update; squirrelmail fails

Gee, it would help if I would type the message BEFORE hitting send...

Kevin Worthington said:
> Hello,
>
> I updated xinetd this morning, and now I'm unable to retrieve mail via
> squirrelmail. I think it has to do with imap not fetching the mail
> correctly (from the main mail server in my company). When I try to login
> to the squirrelmail web interface, I get:
>
> Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: php_hostconnect: connect failed
> in /var/www/squirrelmail/functions/imap_general.php on line 172

Odd.  I would have expected SM to just tell you it couldn't connect rather
than PHP giving you an error.

> I ran: "netstat -lnp" to see if port 143 was listening, but it does not
> show up.
> I also tried "/etc/xinetd.d/imap restart", but I get "permission denied".

This file isn't an executable, it is a config file for xinetd.

> I tried other things as well, that were unsuccessful, such as:
> [root@xxxxxxxx root]# /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
> Stopping xinetd:                                           [FAILED]
> Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
> [root@xxxxxxxx root]#
>
> Can anyone tell me how to restart imap (or squirrelmail, if I'm mistaken
> about imap (?)  )  ?
>
> TIA,
> Kev

What does the following give you?:
$ /sbin/chkconfig --list imap

If it says that imap is off, do (as root):

$ /sbin/chkconfig imap on

--
William Hooper