Re: Increasing Memory Usage

you could go here for a good explanation:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/pagecache.html

I hope, that is the right address, I'm too tired right
now to think :)
In short, linux uses lots of page caches, so that
after you close a program, if you open it again, it
will take less time to open it again (well, its does
more than that, but that is a nice little
explanation). As you can see from the "free" command
and as someone else already said, you can subtract
what free gives you as cache to what it gives you as
being used. That will give you the "real" memory used.
As I said before the cache memory is not always used,
since you might not need again what it is stored in
the cache.  But if you need the memory, the cache is
going to be cleared so that you can get the needed
memory.

Rigo

ps. I hope I made sense, since as I said.. too tired
to think right now..