Re: Perl install ruins vi!!

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 17:56, rbragg wrote:

> I have been looking into how to make rpm's from the src.rpm's and I
> couldn't seem to find any info or good how-to's that worked...

Download the perl-5.8.0-88.src.rpm from some Shrike repository.
Run this:

rpm -ivh perl-5.8.0-88.src.rpm

Go to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
Edit perl.spec
Look at the very first line in the file. Does that ring a bell? ;-)
Just change the parameter from 1 to 0. Save the spec.
Now run this:

rpmbuild -ba perl.spec

...and wait. It's going to take a while.

If all goes well, you'll end up with brand new Perl packages compiled
without threads. Install them.

I'm not sure if you need to rebuild the other perl-related src.rpms for
non-threaded Perl. Maybe a Perl guru can answer here.

For cleanness reasons, after you edit the threading variable, you may
also want to edit perlrel (a few lines below) - make it, say,
"88nothread" to distinguish it from the "88" original Red Hat package.
This may also help when installing the resulting binaries.

Now, since you already messed up the system with Perl tarballs, even if
you install these custom built packages, you may still experience weird
issues. If i were you, i'd reinstall the system from scratch. :-)

> Always learning

That, actually, is a good thing. ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy." - Goethe