Gnome Sound Recorder Configuration Question: Not Listening To Sound Card

Evening.

I have an Ensoniq sound card installed.  My motherboard also has sound
output.  Speakers function properly through the sound card.    Mixer
adjusts volume of input from sound card, too.  However, gnome sound
recorder is not listening on the sound card.  I get no input when trying
to record from a tape deck connected to the care (or direct audio
motherboard ports, for that matter.)How do I configure it to
do so?

Machine is a Dell Pentium III WorkStation 220.

Thanks.

John