Re: Help - have I been hacked

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 02:36, Res wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2003, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 11:34:03AM +1000, Res wrote:
> > >
> > > Sendmail is rather secure and rock stable, if you know what your doing,
> >
> > ???
> > I'm curious as what your definition of "rather secure and rock stable"
> > entails. The last two releases of Sendmail are both bugfixes for critical
> > security problems and the last one was only a month ago.
>
> really, well i must have missed the CERT email on that one last month.

I believe these are the ones being referred to:

"Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow an attacker to
gain the privileges of the sendmail daemon, typically root. Even
vulnerable sendmail servers on the interior of a given network may be at
risk since the vulnerability is triggered from the contents of a
malicious email message."

It was there for 15 years, mentioned earlier and dismissed.

"
There is a remotely exploitable vulnerability in sendmail that could
allow an attacker to gain control of a vulnerable sendmail server.
Address parsing code in sendmail does not adequately check the length of
email addresses. An email message with a specially crafted address could
trigger a stack overflow. This vulnerability was discovered by Michal
Zalewski.

This vulnerability is different than the one described in CA-2003-07.
"

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773