Re: Help - have I been hacked

> Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> >While you are at it, get rid of wu-ftpd (if there is no special reason
> >to use it) and replace it with the more secure and faster vsftpd. In
> >fact, i believe that's what RH 9 does by default. :-)

So long as you dont want to do anything more than serve files from a
normal public solo ftp, if you want to rate limit per domain or run Virt's
vstfp is aload of shite, we removed it and went back to proftpd. testing
on our network showed vsftpd as no more faster than it, secure? this has
been done to death in other threads, just because it says its secure means
nothing, all software is secure.......untill the first exploit is found.

> >Also get rid of Sendmail (if there is no special reason to use it) and
> >replace it with the more secure and faster Postfix. Switching between
> >the two MTAs is quite easy on Red Hat, just install both and run
> >redhat-switch-mail (or redhat-switch-mail-nox).

Sendmail is rather secure and rock stable, if you know what your doing,
even by default its pretty good these days, if it was as bad as you make
out why does it run on the vast majority of MTA's in the world..
IOW, postfix is YOUR choice. vsftpd is YOUR choice, doesnt mean its
better, we had postfix on our secondary MTA, we never found it as good as
sendmail and replaced it with sendmail, but thats OUR choice from our
experience.

Dont go making such global claims you cant support.
Just because RH use it doesnt mean its the best, after all they only just
now stopped wu-ftpd as default, so that says it all.

--
-Res

lns01-wick-bne> ipfirewall addb reject all from aol.com to 0