Re: Help - have I been hacked

Res wrote:

So long as you dont want to do anything more than serve files from a
normal public solo ftp, if you want to rate limit per domain or run Virt's
vstfp is aload of shite, we removed it and went back to proftpd. testing
on our network showed vsftpd as no more faster than it, secure? this has
been done to death in other threads, just because it says its secure means
nothing, all software is secure.......untill the first exploit is found.

We were running proftpd and like it - but as it
turns out, vsftpd can do all the same tricks -

Look at security records for wu-ftpd, proftpd
and vsftpd, and tell me again than vsftpd is
not more secure -

Sendmail is rather secure and rock stable, if you know what your doing,
even by default its pretty good these days, if it was as bad as you make
out why does it run on the vast majority of MTA's in the world..
IOW, postfix is YOUR choice. vsftpd is YOUR choice, doesnt mean its
better, we had postfix on our secondary MTA, we never found it as good as
sendmail and replaced it with sendmail, but thats OUR choice from our
experience.

Thank you for your opinion, but that is no substitute for a careful analysis of the facts. I have been known as "Mr Sendmail" for years, but have recently started switching over to postfix - my own testing shows that postfix stands up much better under load than does sendmail, and not only can it do all the tricks sendmail does, but it can do a few tricks that sendmail can't.

Trying to set up sitewide spam filtering on a relay
host without having to create local unix accounts
for each user is what finally pushed me over the
edge to postfix - it was a troublesome business
trying to do it with sendmail, but trivial to do with
postfix -

Try it some time -

Best Regards,

Joe