Re: Help - have I been hacked

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, joe wrote:

> Res wrote:
>
> >So long as you dont want to do anything more than serve files from a
> >normal public solo ftp, if you want to rate limit per domain or run Virt's
> >vstfp is aload of shite, we removed it and went back to proftpd. testing
> >on our network showed vsftpd as no more faster than it, secure? this has
> >been done to death in other threads, just because it says its secure means
> >nothing, all software is secure.......untill the first exploit is found.
> >
> We were running proftpd and like it - but as it
> turns out, vsftpd can do all the same tricks -

Sure, but if you run 17 virtual ftp servers on one box thats 17 config
files, pfft, thats goes backwards, not forwards, C.S.R's can not debug a
customers conenction as theres no ftpwho, rate limiting some domains in
only some directories or files but not others only is 4 line statement in
proftpd.

> Look at security records for wu-ftpd, proftpd
> and vsftpd, and tell me again than vsftpd is
> not more secure -

Sorry, cant say ive seen any security issues affecting proftpd that havnt
affected vsftpd, the last biggie goin round proftpd was not affected
neither was vsftpd, wu-ftpd is a total new ball game it is insecure,,no
arguments there :)

> >Sendmail is rather secure and rock stable, if you know what your doing,
> >even by default its pretty good these days, if it was as bad as you make
> >out why does it run on the vast majority of MTA's in the world..
> >IOW, postfix is YOUR choice. vsftpd is YOUR choice, doesnt mean its
> >better, we had postfix on our secondary MTA, we never found it as good as
> >sendmail and replaced it with sendmail, but thats OUR choice from our
> >experience.
> >

> Thank you for your opinion, but that is no substitute
> for a careful analysis of the facts.  I have been known

True, the facts here on the hardware we run and for what purposes we need
sendmail beats postfix.

> as "Mr Sendmail" for years, but have recently started

As have I :)

> switching over to postfix - my own testing shows that
> postfix stands up much better under load than does
> sendmail, and not only can it do all the tricks sendmail

I found the opposite.

> Trying to set up sitewide spam filtering on a relay
> host without having to create local unix accounts
> for each user is what finally pushed me over the

Not quite sure what you mean by this as its extremely vague comment, but
yes we do filter on a relay box with only root and a smtp user, unless I
read what you said wrong, you sure as hell don't have to create them on
every box.

--
-Res

lns01-wick-bne> ipfirewall addb reject all from aol.com to 0