Re: why does one need an initrd if using LVM?

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 11:32:16AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> associated with that, of course, is the possibility of having to create
> an initrd.img, which almost *everything* i've ever seen describes as
> a way to load some early modules.

Even linux/Documentation/initrd.txt gives four different usage
scenarios - only the first was for modules...

> they'll be additionally confused when introduced to how to build
> an initrd.img and, when they look inside it (which is something
> i show them how to do), they'll notice that there are actually
> no modules whatsoever, yet that initrd.img is still essential for
> the boot process.

Just make sure not to tell them that initrds are for modules only.  In
the future you'll see all sorts of early boot stuff moving to
initramfs (2.6).

> i'm not saying that the way this done is wrong, merely suggesting
> that any documentation explaining an initrd should make it clear
> that it has uses beyond early module loading, that's all.

If you've spotted errors in our documentation, please point them out.
I think that the existing kernel docs are clear.

Cheers,

Matt
msw@xxxxxxxxxx
--