Re: Failed attempt at rebuilding RPM database

On Sat, 3 May 2003 17:12:01 +0100 (BST)
M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 May 2003, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> > Also, when I run rpm -qa on packages that I
> > know Red Hat installed as RPM's, I get absolutley no response, which
> > usually means that a package isn't installed.
>
> rpm -qa by itself should list all the packages rpm thinks is
> installed; if your database is as broken as you think it is this might
> be a short list.
>
> Another idea on fixing your database; you could try using
> /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump instead of db_dump, etc. as I am guessing
> these may be the db4 utilities corresponding to the db4 version rpm
> uses.
>
> 	Michael Young

Hello again, Michael :)
I just tried "/usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump" with the following result:

[root@xxxxxxxxx root]# /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump -s
/usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump: option requires an argument -- s
usage: db_dump [-klNprRV]
        [-d ahr] [-f output] [-h home] [-P password] [-s database]
db_file

This output conclusively shows what I haven't made clear before (but it
might be totally apparent to all of you), but though my Linux guru
brother has pronounced me a "genius", I am still very ignorant (though
willing to learn) of a lot of things.
So I guess my question would be, what options should I use, and what
should I put in the place of "db_file"?

Thanks again for your continuing effort on this :)  Now I need to go to
bed :)

Steven P. Ulrick