Re: how do I edit my XF86Config file while in runlevel 3?

Elton Woo wrote:
On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 19:42, seth vidal wrote:

Oh. Good point. That is "the advantage" I spoke of regarding learning
vi. It isn't going anywhere. But what a shame pico is. We need an
ultra simple console text editor just like we need ultra simple gui
text editors like gedit. Like I said, I'm an emacs user but if I just

(And oh boy I have I just given ammunition to the "Vi is better than
Emacs" crowd. Can we please not go there?)

Thank you and everyone else who responded to my original question.
I managed to edit the file using mc (which, unfortunately is NOT installed by default).

Mainly my request about editing the SF86Config, relates to it being
overwritten whenever I tried installing the nVidia*.rpm, and editing
the file via a gui app. For some reason, whenever I rebooted, the config
file would get overwritten. (This was with the Phoebe 3 beta / RH 8.0.94).

Now, I have installed via the NVIDIA~.run file, and according to comments
in this thread I could have done the re-edit *before* logging out to
runlevel3. I realised that I while I had vim installed, the rest on my
system were GUI editors. (In a reare flash of brilliance on my part, I then
thought of using Midnight Commander!) <G>.

Elton :<>\ <---- (happy, happy penguin emoticon)

The Midnight commander is a very handy and useful program. I have installed rpms with it, used it for launching music files and other applications, editing files, changing file permissions and many other bailout purposes.

I really havent become accustomed to using nautilus much. I still like the text or GUI (through a terminal) operability that the program has.

Of course I used the Norton commander during the win 3.1 / DOS days. good thing that the function keys are pretty much defined as it was on windows.

Breaking off to the gmc graphical interface, that used to be a part of Red Hat. Is it still being developed? Are there any rpms that are functional with RHL 9?

It's great that the program helped you out. I thought WP 5.1 was awkward. vi, emacs, elvis or whatever other editors are not user friendly enough for me. Thank goodness for the editor included with mc.

When the GUI is running, I have used gedit more, for editing. The only annoyance is the file~ (tilde) that is sometimes left behind. Is this a normal problem, or could this be why your edits for the fonfig file seem to not work for GUI editing?

Jim

--
The world needs more people like us and fewer like them.