Re: ACPI support in RH 9?

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 06:48, Eric Wood wrote:
> Could some offer a resource to where I can learn the answers to these
> questions:
>
> 1. Is there an active mailing list for APM/ACPI issues?

There's a sourceforge site.

> 2. Is ACPI mature now-a-days even thought there seem to be conflicting
> standards?

Yes and no. I've been patching it in since the 8.0 days. Neve got any
lock with APM. Always worked for me, and APM never did.

> 3. Like APM, is ACPI compiled into RH 9 kernels by default? (ie, gkrellm
> tells me my kernel doesn't support ACPI, so I think the answer is "no".)

Nope. It's not really usable in the stock kernel either.

> 4. Can I totally do away with APM and use ACPI? Or is ACPI dependant upon
> APM?

I'm doing it for years, even on my desktops.

> 5. What are some tricks I can do with APM/ACPI to prove things are working?
dmesg.

> Another vaio laptop users said he enabled ACPI "resulting in significant
> heat and power use reduction".
Not here, but I can use battstat to check the battery charge...

--
Z <zleite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>