alsa-related issues [was: Problems With Xine]

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 18:18, Blaise Pascal wrote:
> well.  Xine handles mpg files fine, but for DVDs, at
> some point I get this error, which outputs itself in
> an endless loop when running Xine from the terminal:
> audio_oss_out: DSP_GETODELAY ioctl():: File descriptor
> in bad state
> I have alsa drivers installed as well, but when I run
> xine with the "-A alsa" parameter, I get this error,
> also outputted ad infinitum:
> audio_alsa_out:write:BAD STATE2, state = 0, going to

There are known issues when playing DVDs with recent xine versions and
with the xmms-alsa plugin on an ALSA-enabled system.
>From what you've said, it looks like the actual problem with xine is
when handling non-stereo sound tracks (e.g. Dolby 5.1 or Dolby
Surround), which is consistent with some issues that i've seen.

I'm not entirely sure whether it's a problem with xine itself, with ALSA
itself or a combination.
I've seen xine playing just fine on non-ALSA systems, i've seen other
media players (Ogle) playing just fine on ALSA.
Also, the old "stable" non-development xine version (0.9.13) seems to
have no issues whatsoever.
But, XMMS with ALSA plugin has issues, while with OSS plugin plays fine.

The weird thing is, it happens only on some systems (mine's included).
Looks like it's all fine and dandy for the majority of users. That's
kinda annoying.

The best thing you can do is to report the issue on the xine-users and
alsa-users mailing lists, providing as many of these details as you can:
- xine version, and where did you get it from
- ALSA version and where did you get it from
- kernel and distribution version
- exactly what kind of media plays fine, and what kind doesn't, and what
are the errors (pretty much what you already did in your message here,
but add more scenarios and copy/paste the console messages); try as many
different kinds of media as you can: DVD, SVCD, DivX, Windows Media,
QuickTime, Real Media, MP3, anything that's supported by xine; if you
get a chance to install the Gxine interface (the alternative GUI to
xine) try and play the web TV and radio broadcast stations too, to see
how Web streaming works. If you could test the Mozilla plugin too, that
would be great.
- previous item, repeated for a different sound driver (-A oss)
- try and see if other ALSA-enabled apps are having issues: XMMS with
OSS plugin and with ALSA plugin, alsaplayer, anything else (games?)
- hardware details about your system (especially sound card info)

If you got your packages from freshrpms.net, try and get the xmms-alsa
plugin, and maybe alsaplayer too, and see what happens.

That would be a big help to fix this annoying bug. Thank you.

I'll post a similar message to the aforementioned mailing lists later on
today, provided that i'll run into similar issues with the most recent
ALSA drivers (i had these problems with 0.9.2, i just upgraded to 0.9.3
but didn't tested yet).

--
Florin Andrei

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy." - Goethe