Problems With Xine

I just got Shrike installed on my IBM ThinkPad T23.
Before this, I had Psyche, and I was able to
eventually get everything that I needed working.  This
time, however, I'm having trouble with Xine.

I got Xine via apt-get/synaptic, with its
dependencies.  I also grabbed libdvdread, libdvdcss,
and libdvdnav, because I thought I needed those as
well.  Xine handles mpg files fine, but for DVDs, at
some point I get this error, which outputs itself in
an endless loop when running Xine from the terminal:

audio_oss_out: DSP_GETODELAY ioctl():: File descriptor
in bad state
audio_oss_out: DSP_GETODELAY ioctl():: File descriptor
in bad state
audio_oss_out: DSP_GETODELAY ioctl():: File descriptor
in bad state

I have alsa drivers installed as well, but when I run
xine with the "-A alsa" parameter, I get this error,
also outputted ad infinitum:

Obtained 2 stack frames.
/usr/lib/libxine.so.1(xine_print_trace+0x28)
[0x400d68dc]
/usr/lib/libxine.so.1 [0x400c99cd]
audio_alsa_out:write:BAD STATE2, state = 0, going to
try XRUN
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:466:(snd_pcm_hw_prepare)
SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PREPARE failed: File
descriptor in bad state
audio_alsa_out.c:ao_alsa_write:560: assertion `0'
failed. audio_alsa_out: xrun:
prepare error: File descriptor in bad state

Obtained 2 stack frames.
/usr/lib/libxine.so.1(xine_print_trace+0x28)
[0x400d68dc]
/usr/lib/libxine.so.1 [0x400c99cd]
audio_alsa_out:write:BAD STATE2, state = 0, going to
try XRUN
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:466:(snd_pcm_hw_prepare)
SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PREPARE failed: File
descriptor in bad state
audio_alsa_out.c:ao_alsa_write:560: assertion `0'
failed. audio_alsa_out: xrun:
prepare error: File descriptor in bad state

I might also add that in both cases the video appears
garbled for a little bit, but then it displays okay.

My IBM ThinkPad T23 is a PIII-1ghz with 1GB of RAM, no
swap.

The hard drive and the dvd-rom both are dma enabled.
/dev/dvd has been linked to /dev/hdc.  I also have
32-bit I/O support enabled for both devices.

Red Hat thinks that the sound is "Intel i810", but
according to alsa-mixer it's some variant of Cirrus
Logic.

The video is a S3 SuperSavage/IX with 16MB, which RH
identifies as a S3 Savage/IX.  I have the display set
at 1024x768@xxxxxx

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks.

BP

=====
Blaise Pascal
pascal256@xxxxxxxxx