Re: How do I read the load information

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 13:26, Steve Ellis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This has been confusing me for some years now and every explanation I
> have had confuses me more. Here is hoping not to get confused
> anymore..;-)
>
> load average: 0.13, 0.03, 0.01
>
> Is the above good, bad, and why?

your machine is mostly idle ;)
load average is basically an over time average of the sum of 2 things
1) how many processes want to run on the cpu
2) how many processes are waiting for disk io

the 3 numbers are for different times over which the average is taken,
1, 5 and 15 minutes iirc.

> I have seen it where the first figure is at 0.74, should I worry?

0.74 is still less than 1.00. 1.00 would mean that something wants to
run all the time on the CPU (or is waiting for IO all the time or
alternating between these 2). Anything far below 1 means your machine is
more than fast enough and is mostly idle. Even if it is 1.00 there is no
problem per se, it just means that sometimes stuff has to wait a bit.
Don't worry unless it's like more than 4 for long periods of time....