Re: How do I read the load information

if you run:
man uptime

there's a good description of load averages. The comma seperated values show the "system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes."

> This has been confusing me for some years now and every explanation I
> have had confuses me more. Here is hoping not to get confused
> anymore..;-)
>
> load average: 0.13, 0.03, 0.01
>
> Is the above good, bad, and why?
>
> I have seen it where the first figure is at 0.74, should I worry?

I don't think there's anything to be alarmed about. When I compile 2 large programs, my load averages go upwards of 2.00-2.50, and I haven't seen any problems, besides the fact that the machine is being taxed a little more during the compilation processes.

HTH,
Kev

Kevin Worthington - <kworthington (at) linuxmail {dot} org>
Faithful Red Hat Linux user since April 1998
Registered Linux User #218689 - http://counter.li.org
http://www.linuxmail.org/