Re: src rpm packages

On 27 Jun 2003, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 11:27, shane c branch wrote:
> > I don't have much experience with source rpms, or rpms in general. I downloaded
> > the src rpm package for the kernel but I can't seem to figure out how to work
> > with it. The Red Hat site mentioned using rpm -ivh <filename>  but using this
> > command reports an error: can't create /usr/src/.... path. I then copied the
> > file to /usr/src and tried agian, but no luck.
> >
> > I have always compiled kernels from a source tarball, but I wanted to try this
> > thinking it might be easier for a friend of mine to work with. Any help is
> > appreciated.
>
> If you want to compile the kernel, don't use the source RPM (SRPM or
> src.rpm), but instead use the 'kernel-source' binary RPM.

Well, that's not necessarily true.  If you want to rebuild the stock
kernel, but for your architecture, you'd use the src.rpm, so that you get
Red Hat's patches and spec options.  Using the kernel-source package won't
give you those options, by default.

> But why do you want to rebuild a kernel?  That is not usually the
> correct answer to your problem.  The Red Hat kernels are quite good.

I guess that depends on the nature of one's problem.  I had to rebuild a
kernel, recently, myself...I have a multi-slot flash card reader, and the
stock kernels aren't compiled with support for SCSI multiple LUN scanning.

Recompiling with that option turned on in the .config file turns that
option on, and I can now use my card reader, properly.  Rebuilding a
kernel was my only option, in that case.

FWIW, of course, I filed a bugzilla report, #98024, on this issue, so
that, hopefully, kernel rebuilding won't be necessary in the future.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, send a message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe