Re: src rpm packages

On 6/27/2003 at 12:07 PM Jeremy Portzer wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 11:27, shane c branch wrote:
>> I don't have much experience with source rpms, or rpms in general. I
>downloaded
>> the src rpm package for the kernel but I can't seem to figure out how to
>work
>> with it. The Red Hat site mentioned using rpm -ivh <filename>  but using
>this
>> command reports an error: can't create /usr/src/.... path. I then copied
>the
>> file to /usr/src and tried agian, but no luck.
>>
>> I have always compiled kernels from a source tarball, but I wanted to
>try this
>> thinking it might be easier for a friend of mine to work with. Any help
>is
>> appreciated.
>
>If you want to compile the kernel, don't use the source RPM (SRPM or
>src.rpm), but instead use the 'kernel-source' binary RPM.
>
>Please see the very good documentation on that here:
>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-ke
rnel.html

>But why do you want to rebuild a kernel?  That is not usually the
>correct answer to your problem.  The Red Hat kernels are quite good.
>
>--Jeremy
>
>--
>/=====================================================================\
>| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@xxxxxxxxx       trilug.org/~jeremy     |
>| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F  E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |
>\=====================================================================/
>

>--

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Personally, I usually update to whatever the latest stable version is by
getting the tarball from kernel.org. I have never used the kernel rpms. My
friend was doing a test on a particular NIC that was supposed to have support
in the 2.4.20-18 kernel. He already confirmed in another test that the driver
worked, by adding it manually. This test was to confirm the new kernel
contained the driver, but he had never upgraded a kernel before by any method.

regards,

shane