src rpm packages

I don't have much experience with source rpms, or rpms in general. I downloaded
the src rpm package for the kernel but I can't seem to figure out how to work
with it. The Red Hat site mentioned using rpm -ivh <filename>  but using this
command reports an error: can't create /usr/src/.... path. I then copied the
file to /usr/src and tried agian, but no luck.

I have always compiled kernels from a source tarball, but I wanted to try this
thinking it might be easier for a friend of mine to work with. Any help is
appreciated.

regards,

shane